I am a photographer living in Brighton UK. Please feel free to leave comments

Thursday, December 3, 2015

Miro




                                                            photo by Miro Miklas





















I met Miro my second day in Bratislava, more than 11 years ago. I went to the camera store, looking for a darkroom to rent so I could process my films and see what I had been photographing. The shop assistant spoke English and so we started a conversation about photography and I asked if he knew anyone who could help with my quest. He replied maybe, if you come back here at 6pm I can take you somewhere and you can see. I returned later and went by tram with Miro to Mileticova, to the house where he lived. In the basement was his fathers darkroom which he had begun using to print his own photographs. He said you are welcome in my house and to use my darkroom, and gave me a key.

Since then I have seen him get married and watched his two boys grow up, and witnessed him develop into a photographer that has used his old rolleiflex camera with patience and empathy to create an amazing collection of images of his children growing up.

Happy 40th birthday Miro.

No comments: